Monday, May 30, 2011



GOGGLES, FLYING MACHINES and PUNKS, OH MY!





Several months ago, I signed up for a class called Writing Steampunk Fiction. Don’t ask me why. I’m still trying to figure it out. Was it curiosity? Boredom? Or, was I attracted by the notion of re-writing history and creating my own outrageous gadgets?  More than likely, it was all of the above.

Steampunk is hard to define—actually another reason I took the class—but I’ll try. First, plunk yourself down in the Victorian age with its spirit of idealism and high hopes for the future. Add the invention of steam powered engines, airships and bizarre clockwork devices. Toss in a handful of scientists with wildly eccentric ideas, mix well with men and women who rebelled against society’s rigid roles and you have a solid foundation for Steampunk fiction.


Never mind that some of the science failed. A steampunk author has the option of re-creating history in a new and fanciful way. That’s why it’s called fiction. Are you beginning to understand why I find this concept so fascinating?

Our instructor, Suzanne Lazear, even shared directions for making a pearl-encrusted ray gun as an accessory to a ball gown. How cool is that?

Is there a Steampunk novel in my future? Hmmm, let me think about that. Seattle, Washington. The wild, wild west. Time travel. The great fire. Steam locomotives. The Yukon gold rush. Sounds good to me! Stay tuned.

Okay, now it's your turn. Have you read any steampunk? If so, please share.

2 comments:

  1. While at ApolloCon two years ago fellow scifi/romance author Pauline Baird Jones turned me on to Steampunk and my first Steampunk/romance was published last year and a new one will come out in October. I'm working on one now also. I have two steampunk costumes now and several pieces I work into regualr wear and I went to several steampunk cons this year. It's addictive. I love steampnk - reading it, writing it - all of it. Steampunk rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cornelia, how cool! Please post the names of your books. I'd love to have you share your knowledge and do a guest blog about some aspect of steampunk. Let me know if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete